Cricut for Cake Decorating?!?!

Posted by Lindsey On 9:23 AM

Let me first preface this by saying that I am a lover of all things Cricut and before I started back to school I really was a scrapbooking diva. The day I got my Cricut Expression I felt like a kid on Christmas morning.

Today, while yarn shopping at my local Michaels, I saw the neatest thing, the Cricut Cake. This nifty little (well not so little)machine does the same thing that a regular Cricut die cutting machine does, but with frosting instead of paper.


Genius, right? I am also a lover of all things cake. It is a great idea but after I thought about it for a little while I decided it is not for me. Yes, I could make the perfect cake and wow friends and family at birthday parties but the machine takes something critical away from a painstakingly made confection.

Cake decorating, in my opinion is truly an art form. I love watching the cake challenges on Food Network. Duff is amazing, not to mention kinda hot. I am always amazed at the incredible cakes these pro decorators come up with. My hat goes off these masters of confectioneries.

I feel like this machine takes away from the creativity and artistic expertise that goes into these cakes. In my little experience decorating cakes I have found half the battle is in figuring out ways to create the little touches that make the cake pop. The Cricut Cake would significantly decrease my struggle but I feel my struggles are what make the cake special. The struggle later results in the WOW! factor.

It's like having a hand beaded wedding gown verses a mass produced dress. Yes, they both are beautiful but there is something genuinely special about that hand beaded gown.

I guess what I am trying to say is that I wish we would spend more time learning an art form rather than using machines to mass produce generic art. It's the heart that goes into creating a masterpiece that makes it special.

So, to those who hand decorate beautiful cakes, your fondant flowers may not be cookie cutter perfect, but you still get a big WOW! from me for the wondrous creations you put forth.






You can check out Melancholy Mommy's blog here. She is my sister and the most talented amazing writer and mother!

0 Response to "Cricut for Cake Decorating?!?!"