Happy Birthday Cupcakes

Posted by Lindsey On 12:05 PM


How fun are these cupcakes? I wanted to make cupcakes and take them to work tomorrow since it will be my birthday. I am turning another year older (26, eeek!!) and I have been through a lot this year, good and bad. But what really stands out this year is how I have totally fallen in love with baking . I am so happy that I have found something I am so passionate about. I love trying new recipes and and testing things out. I also love seeing peoples faces as they enjoy my goodies I have baked. I have always wished I could do this for a living and seeing as I am graduating from culinary school in just a few short months hopefully I will be able to do so sometime soon in the future. I made the cupcakes using my favorite chocolate cake recipe and I used a new buttercream recipe I found on Annie's Eats earlier this week. Both turned out amazing!! Anyways here is to another year older and many more sweet treats in the future!



Hershey's Perfectly Chocolate Cupcakes


Ingredients
2 cups sugar
1-3/4 cups all-purpose flour
3/4 cup HERSHEY'S Cocoa
1-1/2 teaspoons baking powder
1-1/2 teaspoons baking soda
1 teaspoon salt
2 eggs
1 cup milk
1/2 cup vegetable oil
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
1 cup boiling water

Directions

Heat oven to 350°F. Grease and flour two 9-inch round baking pans.

Stir together sugar, flour, cocoa, baking powder, baking soda and salt in large bowl. Add eggs, milk, oil and vanilla; beat on medium speed of mixer 2 minutes. Stir in boiling water (batter will be thin).

Line muffin cups (2-1/2 inches in diameter) with paper bake cups. Fill cups 2/3 full with batter. Bake 22 to 25 minutes. Cool completely. Frost.



Vanilla Swiss Meringue Buttercream
from Annie's Eats
Ingredients
5 large egg whites
1 cup plus 2 tbsp. sugar
Pinch of salt
1 lb. (4 sticks) unsalted butter, at room temperature
2 tsp. vanilla extract

Directions
To make the frosting, combine the egg whites, sugar and salt in a heatproof bowl set over a pot of simmering water. Heat, whisking frequently, until the mixture reaches 160° F and the sugar has dissolved.

Transfer the mixture to the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the whisk attachment. Beat on medium-high speed until stiff peaks form and the mixture has cooled to room temperature, about 8 minutes.

Reduce the speed to medium and add the butter, 2 tablespoons at a time, adding more once each addition has been incorporated. If the frosting looks soupy or curdled, continue to beat on medium-high speed until thick and smooth again, about 3-5 minutes more (don’t worry, it will come together!) Stir in the vanilla extract and mix just until incorporated. Tint with gel icing color as desired.

Keep buttercream at room temperature if using the same day, or transfer to an airtight container and refrigerate up to 3 days or freeze up to 1 month. Before using, bring to room temperature and beat with paddle attachment on low speed until smooth again, about 5 minutes.

6 Response to "Happy Birthday Cupcakes"

  1. Katie Said,

    So cute! I love the pink ones!!

     

  2. Misty Said,

    So cute! So what's the plan after graduation?

     

  3. Bridgett Said,

    Wow, you are so good at decorating! I think I love them all and would be hard pressed to pick a favorite. I really like the pic of you and your pup on the blog. What kind of pup is it?

     

  4. Lindsay Said,

    I want to eat them all!

     

  5. They looks so lovely. The pink cupcake was my favorite. The presentation was great also and what I like the most is that your creativeness that turns a simple cupcake to a fabulous one.

    Great job....

     

  6. Kari Said,

    These are so pretty! I just wish I had the skill and patience to decorate cupcakes like that.