I haven't baked anything in a very long time and was itching to get back in the kitchen. I saw this recipe over Christmas time in my google reader and knew I wanted to try it. Anything that has chocolate and sea salt I am all over it. These were really easy to make and I made just a slight change from the original recipe. When I mixed all the ingredients the dough was more like a batter so I added a 1/2 cup of flour. If you love the peanut butter cookies with the hershey kiss in them then you should definitely try this sophisticated version of them.

Salty Peanut Butter Cookies with Dark Chocolate adapted from The Amateur Gourmet

Ingredients
1 cup creamy peanut butter (this recipe works best with a commercial brand. "Natural" PB just wouldn't make this recipe the same)
1 cup dark brown sugar
1/3 cup white sugar
1 egg
2 tbs vanilla extract
Pinch of fleur de sel (or any sea or kosher salt)
1 tsp orange zest
1/2 cup all purpose flour
Dark Chocolate Chunks-I used about 24

Directions
In a stand mixer, you just throw together the peanut butter, brown sugar, white sugar, egg, orange zest, vanilla extract and salt. Mix well scrapping sides as you go until combined. Add flour and mix until just combined. You scoop the dough on to a cookie sheet lined with parchment paper , lay a piece of chocolate on top and sprinkle everything with sea salt to taste. You bake for 10 to 12 minutes at 350 and you're done. Let them rest for a minute then spatula them to a cookie sheet to cool.

5 Response to "Salty Peanut Butter Cookies with Dark Chocolate"

  1. The orange zest ingredient intrigues me. This looks delicious.

     

  2. I have to make these! I am heading to the grocery store NOW!

     

  3. Jen Said,

    These look great. I love the PB and chocolate combo!

     

  4. Carrie Said,

    Wow, these sound SOOO different then any kind of cookie I have ever made.

     

  5. Pam Said,

    Oh, that's a perfect combination! I love the big chocolate chunks and I'm amazed they weren't devoured before you could snap a photo!