Autumn Harvest Bread

Posted by Lindsey On 7:37 PM

Just a note from me

We are in the middle of a move, so I will not be blogging as frequently. If you are interested in doing some guest blogging for me please shoot me an email at lindseydavis85@gmail.com. Thanks!! OK now onto a great post by Books N' Cooks.....





As the new years starts, so does healthy eating, more exercise, and better habits in general. I have been on the look out for healthier, carb-filled breakfasts (because I crave carbs in the morning and need something substantial before my morning work out). I found this recipe on Good Things Catered, and it sounded wonderful, but when I counted calories, it was almost 320 calories per slice (based on 10 slices). I make a couple changes to make the bread a bit healthier (added some whole grain flour, more apple sauce and cranberries, eliminated the oil, and decreased the amount of pecans). A slice of bread in this version is about 215 calories.

This bread was so tasty – I just loved the tart cranberries, the little crunch of pecans, and the super-soft consistency. And the best part is, since the only cans of pumpkin puree the grocery store had were 30 oz., I can make this again tomorrow!

Ingredients:


Cooking spray
1 c. all-purpose flour
1/2 c. whole wheat flour
1 tsp ground cinnamon
1/4 tsp nutmeg
1 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
1 c. sugar
1/4 c. light brown sugar
7.5 oz. pumpkin puree (about 1 c., says the kitchen scale)
2 large eggs
1/2 c. unsweetened applesauce
1/4 c. milk
1 tsp vanilla extract
1 medium apple, peeled, cored, and diced
1 1/2 c. fresh, coarsely chopped (or halved) cranberries
1/4 c. coarsely chopped pecans

Directions:


Preheat oven to 350°F and lightly spray and 9x5 loaf pan (or 5 mini-loaf pans) with cooking spray.

In large bowl, combine flour, cinnamon, nutmeg, baking soda, salt.



In another bowl, combine sugars, pumpkin puree, eggs, applesauce, milk, vanilla. Stir until well mixed.


Add dry and wet ingredients, stirring just until blended.

Fold in apples, cranberries and pecans. Dough is sticky and thoroughly mixed, but lumpy with fruit and nuts.



Pour into prepared pan(s) and bake 50-60 minutes. If it needs to go in longer (mine took 70 minutes), cover with aluminum foil to prevent the top from getting too brown. A toothpick inserted into center should come out clean.

Remove from oven and place on a wire rack. Let cool completely before removing bread from pan.

Go check out Books N' Cooks for some great recipes!!!!!

4 Response to "Autumn Harvest Bread"

  1. Katie Said,

    YUM! I love the healthy changes to it too! It looks great!

     

  2. Kelsey Said,

    I love making this bread, too. The healthier changes look great!

     

  3. This looks awesome! Stopping by from SITS!

     

  4. LambAround Said,

    Mmmmm! I'm done with the internet for tonight - I'm going to go make this right now!!! :)