Healthy-ish Cincinnati Chili

Posted by Lindsey On 2:15 PM



I hadn't had Cincinnati Chili in ages, but I have had the biggest craving for it the past few weeks. My dad use to love the stuff and we would buy the frozen Skyline Cincinnati Chili all the time when I was growing up, since we didn't have a Skyline restaurant close to us (And we even lived in Ohio!). I decided to recreate it now from scratch in a healthy way. This turned out fantastic! The chocolate and cinnamon really bring a new dimension to this dish!

Healthy-ish Cincinnati Chili
Adapted from Allrecipes and What's Cooking America




Ingredients

1 pound extra-lean ground turkey
2 (10.5 ounce) cans beef broth
1 clove garlic, minced
1 tablespoon chili powder
1 teaspoon ground allspice
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1 teaspoon ground cumin
1/2 teaspoon red (cayenne) pepper
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 1/2 tbsp unsweetened cocoa or 1/2 ounce grated unsweetened chocolate
1 (15-ounce) can tomato sauce
1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
1 tablespoon cider vinegar
1 (16-ounce) package uncooked dried whole wheat spaghetti pasta

Toppings
Diced Onion
Shredded Cheddar Cheese
Kidney Beans

Directions

In a dutch oven over medium-high heat, add beef stock. Let it come to a boil then add ground turkey. Let boil for about five minutes then add garlic, chili powder, allspice, cinnamon, cumin, cayenne pepper, salt, unsweetened cocoa or chocolate, tomato sauce, Worcestershire sauce, cider vinegar. Reduce heat to low and simmer, covered, 1 1/2 hours. Remove from heat.

Cook spaghetti according to package directions and transfer onto individual serving plates.

Ladle chili over spaghetti and serve with toppings of your choice.

2 Response to "Healthy-ish Cincinnati Chili"

  1. I love cincinnati chili..that looks amazing!

     

  2. Karen Said,

    I once accidentally put cinnamon into a spaghetti sauce I was making. My mom thought it was awful and it became a family joke that lasted for years. When I first heard about Cincinnati Chili, I called my mom and said, "See! It's not weird!"