Shrimp Pot Pie with Fennel

Posted by Lindsey On 12:50 PM

Ok I swear this is my last recipe post from this past months Real Simple Magazine. This was a comforting meal that is a perfect dinner on cold fall nights. Ben has really made me so proud lately and has branched out so much when it comes to trying new food. He has just recently started eating seafood and so far he really likes tilapia and shrimp. I haven't really tried anything else out on him yet, I am thinking the next thing I will let him try will be salmon. Anyways back to the recipe try it out and hopefully you will enjoy the flavors as much as Ben and I did.

Shrimp Pot Pie with Fennel
from Real Simple Magazine




Ingredients

3 tablespoons olive oil
2 leeks (white and light green parts), cut into half-moons
1 fennel bulb, cut into 1/2 inch pieces
3 tablespoons AP flour
1/2 cup dry white wine
1 cup whole milk
Kosher salt and black pepper
1 pound frozen peeled and deveined medium shrimp,thawed
1/2 cup fresh flat-leaf parsley, chopped
1 8oz sheet frozen puff pastry, thawed

Directions
Heat the oven to 400 degrees. Heat the oil in a large sauce pan over medium-high heat. Cook the leeks and fennel, stirring occasionally, until soft, 5 to 6 minutes. Add the flour and cook for 1 minute, stirring (do not let it darken). Stir in the white wine, milk 1 1/4 teaspoons salt and 1/4 teaspoon pepper. Simmer until thickened, 2 to 3 minutes. Stir in the shrimp and parsley.

Transfer the mixture to a shallow 2-quart baking dish. Lay the pastry on top, trimming to fit, and cut vents in the top. Bake until the shrimp mixture is bubbling and the pastry is golden brown, about 25 to 30 minutes.

2 Response to "Shrimp Pot Pie with Fennel"

  1. Chris Said,

    I've never made a shrimp pot pie (chicken? yes) and now I have to wonder...why the heck not? This sounds wonderful with the fennel!

     

  2. Gina Said,

    Sounds like comfort food and I could use that today!