Pumpkin Streusel Cranberry Muffins

Posted by Lindsey On 8:54 AM


If you like to bake with pumpkin then you have probably have heard about the pumpkin shortage this year. I had to go to two different grocery stores to find pumpkin and I am glad I finally found some because I have been wanting to make some muffins for awhile now. I stocked up on pumpkin so I should be good for awhile. These muffins are great, the tartness of the cranberries goes great with the sweetness of the streusel.


Pumpkin Streusel Cranberry Muffins
Adapted from Smitten Kitchen



Ingredients
1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
1 cup canned solid-pack pumpkin
1/3 cup vegetable oil
2 large eggs
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon ginger
1/8 teaspoon ground cloves
1/8 teaspoon ground nutmeg
1 1/4 cups sugar
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
3/4 cup dried cranberries

For streusel topping:

1/2 cup all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/8 teaspoon ground ginger
1/8 teaspoon ground cloves
1/8 teaspoon ground nutmeg
1/2 cup firmly packed light brown sugar
4 tablespoons (1/2 stick) unsalted butter, slightly softened and cut into 1/2-inch pieces

Directions

Put oven in middle position and preheat oven to 350°F. Put liners in muffin cups.

For the streusel topping: in a medium bowl, stir together the flour, spices, and brown sugar. Add the butter pieces and combine the mixture with a fork until the topping resembles coarse crumbs. Set aside.

Whisk together pumpkin, oil, eggs, spices, 1 1/4 cups sugar, baking soda, and salt in a large bowl until smooth, then whisk in flour mixture and dried cranberries until just combined.


Divide batter among muffin cups (each should be about three-fourths full), then sprinkle tops with streusel mixture. Bake until puffed and golden brown and wooden pick or skewer inserted into the center of a muffin comes out clean, about 25 minutes.

Cool in pan on a rack five minutes, then transfer muffins from pan to rack and cool to warm or room temperature.

3 Response to "Pumpkin Streusel Cranberry Muffins"

  1. spb Said,

    I wouldn't have thought of putting pumpkin and cranberries together but the more I think about it, the more I like the idea. :)

     

  2. Katie Said,

    I know, I have been buying every can I can get my hands on. These look great I might have to use up one my hard earned cans on them!

     

  3. I hadn't heard about the pumpkin shortage. That worries me because I love pumpkin. I'll have to stock up for the holidays. Your muffins looks delicious.