Chicken Posole

Posted by Lindsey On 12:38 PM

This is one of those recipes that can be made with ingredients you already have in your pantry, when I got my Real Simple magazine last week and saw a picture of this soup on the cover I knew it had to be tasty and I was even more excited to see that I had most of the ingredients already in my pantry. I love the taste of cilantro and lime so I changed up the recipe a little to fit our taste.


Chicken Posole
Adapted from Real Simple Magazine




Ingredients

1 tablespoon bacon fat (we save this in our fridge after we make bacon, its not healthy, but a great flavorful substitution for olive oil in cooking)
1 onion thinly sliced
Kosher salt and black pepper
1 32 oz container chicken broth
1 15 oz can diced tomatoes
1 15 oz can stewed tomatoes
1 dried ancho chili, thinly sliced or 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper
2 cups shredded rotisserie chicken meat
1 15 oz can hominy, rinsed
1 tablespoon lime zest
1 tablespoon lime juice
2 tablespoons chopped cilantro
Plus lime and cilantro for garnish

Directions


Heat the bacon fat in a large saucepan over medium heat. Add the onion and 1/4 teaspoon each salt and pepper and cook, stirring occasionally until soft and beginning to brown, 10 to 12 minutes.

Add the broth, tomatoes, chili, cilantro and bring to a boil. Stir in the chicken, lime zest and juice, and hominy and simmer until heated through, 5-7 minutes. Serve with lime wedges and chopped cilantro as garnish.

2 Response to "Chicken Posole"

  1. Joelen Said,

    Cilantro and lime are two things that perk up my husband when it comes to food! I'll have to give this a try because I already know he'll love it with the flavors involved!

     

  2. Karine Said,

    This dish seems to be packed with flavors! Thanks for sharing :)