Morel Recipe Challenge

Posted by Lindsey On 10:53 PM

The voting is now open!! Please vote for my recipe! Thanks!!

Marx Food Blog





I saw this recipe challenge over on Marx Foods Blog and I knew I had to take a shot at it. Here are the instructions on the challenge. My original idea was to make a risotto with lobster, morel mushrooms and asparagus, but then later decided to go with crab instead. I am so glad that I chose crab because I think I came up with two great recipes. If I happen to win this challenge I would love to take my winnings to school and use them to make some yummy creations for our guests that dine with us every week.

For some more information on Morels and to buy some follow these links.

Now onto my recipes, I made two because I had extra crab and morels left over after I made the risotto. Since the risotto was my original idea, that recipe is the one that I would love to have judged. Anyhow here is the recipe.

Morel and Crab Risotto


Ingredients

1 tablespoon butter

½ yellow onion, small dice

2 garlic cloves, minced

1 cup short grain rice

1 cup white wine

2 1/4 cups chicken stock

4 oz lump crab meat

½ oz morels, chopped in small pieces

5 pieces asparagus, blanched and cut into 1 inch pieces

¼ cup grated Parmesan cheese

1 bay leaf

Chopped Parsley

Salt and Pepper to taste


Procedure

In a medium sauce pan over medium heat warm up chicken stock with bay leaf. To hydrate my dried morels I actually added them to the chicken stock for a few minutes, which ended up giving the stock a great flavor.

In a large nonstick skillet, melt butter over medium heat. Add onion and garlic, season with salt and pepper. Toss to begin cooking. Add rice, toast for 2 minutes. Add white wine and cook until the liquid is evaporated.

Add 1/4 c. chicken stock, stirring in between additions, about every 3 minutes.

After all of the stock is absorbed, add the crab, morels, asparagus, and cheese. Turn heat to low and let the rice cook and to heat the added ingredients.

Add chopped parsley to garnish, and plate.



I love risotto and this was honestly the best risotto I have ever made. The flavor of the morels really came out and the crab complimented the flavor of the mushrooms.

Here is the bonus recipe

Morel Crab Cakes


Ingredients

1 tablespoon fresh parsley, chopped

½ teaspoon Worcestershire sauce

1 egg, beaten

1 tablespoon mayonnaise

½ teaspoon lemon juice

½ lb lump crab meat

½ oz morels, finely chopped

¼ cup panko bread crumbs, plus extra for dredging

Vegetable Oil for frying

Salt and Pepper to taste


Procedure

Mix together the parsley, Worcestershire, egg, mayonnaise, morels and lemon juice. Add the crab and panko bread crumbs. Season with salt and pepper. Divide the mixture into 5 portions (5 for entrée size, 10 for appetizer size) flatten into thick patties. Coat each patty with the panko.

Place patties on plate in the freezer for 30 minutes to harden up a little. It is much easier to sauté the patties this way. Heat oil in a large fry pan. Add the crab cakes and fry until golden brown on both sides, about 4 minutes on each side. Drain patties on paper towels.

Serve immediately.





Category : edit post

4 Response to "Morel Recipe Challenge"

  1. cateskitchen Said,

    That risotto looks FANTASTIC! Good luck!

     

  2. Joelen Said,

    Your use of morels in both of these dishes is wonderful! Great job and now you've got me craving morels! :)

     

  3. Anonymous Said,

    Favortism aside, I would chose this dish first!! Good Luck Lindsey!!
    ~Cousin Caren

     

  4. Dazy Said,

    I'm making this today. I think I'll try to shoot it, but I don't think it will be as pretty as your picture!