Red Rice and Chicken Soup

Posted by Lindsey On 6:31 PM

Awhile back I got some samples of Himalayan Red Rice and Chinese Black Rice from Marx foods. I wasn't sure what to make with these unique rices, but then I saw this recipe and knew this is what I wanted to do with the red rice.

Red Rice and Roast Chicken Soup

Original Recipe From The Kitchen Monkey

Serves 6
Cooking time approx. 2 hours. Prep time approx. 45 minutes.






Ingredients
1/2 roast chicken -chopped. I used half a rotisserie chicken from Costco
1 cup red rice
4 cups chicken stock
1 cup beef stock
1/2 cup White Wine
1 sprig fresh rosemary - minced
small handful chives - chopped (you might use thyme instead)
2 bay leaves
4 medium-sized carrots - sliced
1 large onion - chopped
3 celery stalks - chopped
3 cloves garlic - minced
1/2 lb. mushrooms -sliced. I used white.
3 allspice berries
salt and pepper to taste

Directions
1. In a dutch oven saute the carrots, onion, and celery in olive oil for about 10 minutes, adding the garlic and mushrooms towards the end.
2. Add the stock and wine in the pot and bring to a boil
3. Wash rice repeatedly then add to the pot.
4. Once the pot is boiling, turn the heat down to low, add some salt and pepper and simmer for 1 hour, or even longer if you want.


All in all I thought the red rice was very very good. It has a nutty flavor and I would for sure buy this rice so I can experiment with it again. If anyone has any ideas or recipes for red rice please let me know. I have some left over that I can't wait to use. Also recipes for Chinese black rice would be appreciated.

Thanks so much Marx Foods!!

Category : edit post

0 Response to "Red Rice and Chicken Soup"