Gruyere Mac with Basil and Pine Nuts

Posted by Lindsey On 6:12 PM

I bought some Gruyere the other day and wasn't sure what I wanted to do with it. I was browsing blogs and find this great recipe. I love the taste of this cheese and the pine nuts really taste amazing in this dish. This is definitely a grown up mac and cheese, but is sure to be a crowd pleaser.

Gruyere and Swiss Mac with Basil and Pine Nuts


Recipe From Jersey Bites





Ingredients

3 Tablespoons unsalted butter
1/8 cup all-purpose flour
2 cups milk (I used skim milk, worked just fine)
1/2 pound elbow macaroni
1 cup grated swiss cheese
1 cup grated Gruyere cheese
2 Tbs. grated Pecorino Romano
1 cup fresh basil leaves, torn or chiffonade
1/2 cup toasted pine nuts
1 tsp. salt
pepper to taste
3 Tbs. fresh bread crumbs
1/4 cup freshly grated Parmesan or the romano

Directions


Cook pasta until just al dente. Drain and toss with 1 Tbs. butter to keep from sticking.

In a large sauté pan, melt the remaining 2 Tbs. butter. Add flour and whisk until golden brown, approximately 3 minutes. Add milk in a steady stream while whisking. Keep whisking until milk bubbles and mixture starts to thicken. Add cheeses and continue to whisk until all is melted and incorporated. Add salt and pepper. Toss with macaroni and add basil and pine nuts.
Pour into greased 8" x 8" casserole dish. Top with bread crumbs and cheese mixture.

Bake at 375 degrees for 20 minutes or until bubbly and top is golden brown.

Category : edit post

5 Response to "Gruyere Mac with Basil and Pine Nuts"


  1. bensbaby116 Said,

    Mmm, can't go wrong with cheese, basil, and pine nuts. Sounds great!

     

  2. Joelen Said,

    Wow - the flavors in this sounds amazing!

     

  3. Cindy Said,

    I'd love to try this one, but am just able to make the ginger, pear, pistachio blondies this weekend. I had to look everywhere to find the dried pears! My daughter had a near fatal allergic reaction to pine nuts right before Christmas. I won't be able to serve this to her unless I can find an alternative nut, or leave them out altogether.

     

  4. supermom Said,

    ha, I was gonna say, this is a mac and cheese that could kill me. lol! pine nuts, not a good combo for me. i bet it is so tasty though. btw, i am cindy's daughter, here checking out the brownies. :O)