Corn Quinoa Chowder

Posted by Lindsey On 3:02 PM

I found this recipe at The Foodie Fashionista

It was very very good!! Very hearty and perfect for a cold winter night!!! The leftovers the next day were even better!!!


Corn Quninoa Chowder





1 Tbsp olive oil
1 small Onion, finely chopped
1 large garlic clove; crushed and minced (I used two garlic cloves)
1 lg Potato; peeled and cubed
1 1/2 cups corn kernels (I used Trader Joe's organic super sweet cut corn)
3/8 cups uncooked quinoa
2 cups fat-free, low sodium chicken broth (or vegetable broth)
2 bay leaves
1 cup skim milk
1/4 cup diced red pepper
1 tsp fresh dill (I didn't have any so I omitted this)
1 tsp dried thyme
Salt and pepper; to taste

Heat the olive oil over medium-high heat. Saute the onion, garlic, and red pepper until soft. Add the corn and potato, cook for another 5 minutes. Add stock, bay leaf and quinoa; stir well. Simmer for 30 minutes. Add milk, dill and thyme. Simmer for another 10 minutes. Remove bay leaves; add salt and pepper to taste. Garnish with dill to serve.

Yields 4 servings

Weight Watchers: 3 points per serving

3 Response to "Corn Quinoa Chowder"

  1. Emiline Said,

    Lindsey, I'm jealous of your quinoa. We don't have it here! Wahhh! I've looked all over.

    Have you started your culinary training yet? Is it this coming fall?

     

  2. Emiline Said,

    Thanks for answering back so quickly. So you have started!
    I bet you can't wait until summer.

     

  3. Katie Said,

    What a great idea for a chowder. I bet the addition of the quinoa made it so great! I'll have to try this once DH gets home - I have a feeling he'll love it!