- 1 (.25 ounce) package instant yeast
- 1 cup warm water (110 degrees F/45 degrees C)
- 2/3 cup canola oil
- 2/3 cup honey
- 3 eggs
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 6 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 egg white
- 1 tablespoon water
- In a large bowl, dissolve yeast in warm water. Let stand until creamy, about 10 minutes.
- Stir the oil, honey, eggs, salt and four cups of flour into the yeast mixture; beat well. Stir in the remaining flour, 1/2 cup at a time, mixing well after each addition. When the dough has pulled together, turn it out onto a lightly floured surface and knead until smooth and supple, about 8 minutes.
- Lightly oil a large bowl, place the dough in the bowl and turn to coat with oil. Cover with a damp cloth and let rise in a warm place until doubled in volume, about 1 hour.
- Deflate the dough and turn it out onto a floured surface divide into 4 pieces and braid. Place the loaf on a lightly greased baking sheet. Cover with a damp cloth and let rise until doubled in volume, about 40 minutes. Meanwhile, preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C).
- In a small bowl, combine the egg white and water; beat lightly. Brush the risen loaf with the egg wash.
- Bake in preheated oven for 30 to 40 minutes, or until golden brown.